Reviews for Other Fantasy Novels
For City of Bones
- "A bravura performance, to
which no summary can do justice: compellingly plotted,
stunningly original in concept, and glowing with utterly convincing
detail." (Book of
- - Kirkus Reviews
- ". . . a delight: an SF
adventure with complex characters, archeological puzzles, a dash of
mental magic and a lot of fast-paced action . . . This finely
crafted novel expertly combines several genres -- SF, fantasy,
horror -- and, perhaps most impressive of all, even manages to
avoid an overly sentimenal ending." (Starred Review)
- - Publishers Weekly
- "Wells's story is addictive. It's high energy, compelling . . . It grabbed me, thrust me into an unfamiliar, complex, and vastly interesting world, and propelled me, like a hummingbird in a gale, toward the ending."
- - New York Review of Science Fiction
- "Ignore the classification . .
. and simply enjoy its nonstop adventure. During the action-packed
search for relics, alliances shift, trust is betrayed, life is
devalued, and magical events occur. Mesmerizing for fans of the
genre, a pleasure for all."
- - "Word of Mouth," Library Journal
- "A fantasy/sci-fi novel with
the feel of the classic Andre Norton adventure novels...You have a
hero...struggling to rise from adverse circumstances who meets and
against his will becomes attracted to an intelligent, strong
heroine while they attempt to solve the ancient riddle of what
destroyed an earlier civilization. This is a good read and bodes
well for Wells' future in the field."
- - Hartford Courant
- "For fresh, appealing fantasy,
look no further than City of Bones, a hardcover novel by
fast rising star Martha Wells . . . Ms. Wells develops an exciting
premise with great color and flair, devising a powerhouse
- - Romantic Times
- "Wells' elaborate fantasy is a
carefully developed, inspired adventure that takes place in a
lavish, sacred, ordered universe of wealth and intrigue."
- - Booklist, Adult Books for Young Adults
- On the Locus 1995
Recommended Reading List for Fantasy
For Wheel of the Infinite
- "Wheel of the Infinite is a book readers will remember and Wells is an author who leaves us eager for more."
- - Cleveland Plain Dealer
- "What Jack Vance is to science fiction, Martha Wells is rapidly becoming to fantasy...Wells creates a fantasy city so well-crafted and rich, it becomes almost a living character. Better even than her previous Nebula-nominated novel The Death of the Necromancer, Wheel of the Infinite shines with sparkling prose and interesting characters...Wells is the brightest new light in the fantasy field in some years, and Wheel of the Infinite is an excellent novel that aptly demonstrates her powerful wattage."
- - Portland Oregonian
- "In a field teeming with clones, retreads, and solipsistic doorstoppers, Wells dares--and, gloriously, succeeds--to be different. What more do you need?" (Book of
- - Kirkus Reviews
- Fast-paced, witty and inventive, Wells' latest fantasy is not only about saving the world; it is also about
saving Maskelle from self-doubt and isolation. The vividly imagined
Celestial Empire's peril is made all the more dramatic by the characters'
sarcastic, reasonable conversations, and by their very human responses
to inhuman dangers; there is real reading pleasure here.
- - Publishers Weekly
- Books such as The Element of Fire and City of Bones are minor classics. Full of mysticism and unforgettable charcters, Wheel of the Infinite will only enhance her reputation.
- - Dallas Morning News 5/21/00
- ...intelligent entertainment likely to appeal to a broad range of fantasy readers.
- - Booklist
Wells spices her latest fantasy with exotic textures and colors
reminiscent of India and the Far East, while mystery and court intrigue
add depth to this tale of love and risk. Highly recommended for most
- - Library Journal
"...colourful, memorable protagonists that one longs for a whole series of sequels in order to visit again with them and their world of wondrously exotic, intricate backgrounds, dazzling magical manifestations, and truly original plot devices that add up to a tour de force of the imagination and a pleasurable fantastic fiction reading experience rarely matched!"
- - Amy Harlib, SF Site
...excellent fantasy set in a very different world...
- - Locus
[ Other Fantasy Novels
| City of Bones
| Wheel of the Infinite ]
| About the Author
| Buy Books Online
| Blog ]